Women’s Prisons: What are They *Really* Like?
Time & Location
About the Event
Have you ever wondered what prison is like for women in Canada?
- What’s the difference between a provincial and federal prison?
- What are the differences between minimum, medium and maximum security?
- What kinds of restrictions are there (e.g. lockdown, segregation, etc.)?
- What rights do women have in prison?
- Do women have to pay for things like sanitary pads, tampons, etc or are they provided free of charge?
- Do women’s children live with them in prison?
- How are female inmates treated by prison guards?
- What kinds of conflicts arise between inmates?
- What are the biggest issues women face in prison? What recourse do they have if they have a grievance?
Join us for a discussion with Heather Mason, where she will provide her insights on what prison is really like for women, followed by a question and answer session with audience members